My first @mywifeycooks meal!
This jambalaya is filling, hearty and healthy– we’ve enjoyed it many times since the first time, and I’ve honed my recipe to near perfection. The rice absorbs the delicious tomatoey spicy sauce, and the chunks of meat and veggies make this one-pot dish into a full meal.
Inspired by Gimme Some Oven, here’s my recipe for Sausage and Shrimp Jambalaya! (Or, as Ben says it, “JAMBALAYAAAAAA!”). Serves 6-8, depending on whether or not you go back for seconds… or thirds.
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 ribs celery, chopped
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and very finely chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound Italian sausage (the spiciness of the sausage will help determine the spiciness of your dish. I prefer hot, Ben prefers sweet… so we use any form of mild that’s available at the grocery store and adjust my own plate with more Frank’s Red Hot Sauce!)
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 28oz. can diced tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cup uncooked white rice
- Cajun spice mix
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 3 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon- 1 Tablespoon Frank’s Red Hot Sauce (adjust according to personal preference)
- 1 pound cooked shrimp, deveined and peeled
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Sauté celery, onion, carrots, green pepper, jalapeño and garlic for 5 minutes, until veggies are mostly cooked, but not too mushy or soft. Add the sausage, and continue sautéing for 5 more minutes.
- Add the chicken broth, tomatoes, rice, Cajun spice mix, bay leaf and Frank’s Red Hot Sauce. Stir well to combine and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium-low heat, cover and simmer for half an hour, or until the rice has absorbed all the liquid. Stir every 5-10 minutes, making sure to scrape all the way to the bottom of the pot so the rice doesn’t sink and burn on the bottom!
- When the rice is cooked, add in the shrimp and more Frank’s to taste.
- Remove from heat and serve with green onions, if desired.